Rules and Regulations for the Ph.D. programme (2014) Recommended by Doctoral Programme Monitoring Board (DPMB) and approved by the Academic Council and the senate.
1. M. Phil / Ph.D
Commonwealth Vocational University (CVU), Tonga offers research programmes for the award of the degree of Master of Philosophy (M.Phil) and Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.). The programme is offered in recognition of research in the various areas recognized by the various faculties or academic departments of the university.
- The degree of M. Phil and Ph. D. is awarded to a registered research scholar by the University in recognition of independent research of high academic standard which makes original contribution to the body of knowledge in the various academic disciplines.
- Interdisciplinary research for the award of Ph.D. degree is also encouraged by the University.
- The Master of Philosophy (M.Phil) and Doctoral research is expected to promote productivity, creativity and suggest newer areas for further research. The rules and regulations for the M.Phil and Ph.D. programmeof the Commonwealth Vocational University (CVU) are approved by the Academic council and the Senate on 1 September 2014.
- The rules and regulotions for M.Phil and Ph.D. programme of the Commonwealth Vocational University (CVU)shall come in force from the academic year 2014-16 and will be applicable to all admissions from the academic year 2014-16 and onwards.
- The rules and regulations shall be applicable to the M.Phil and Ph.D. programme offered by the University in the various faculties such os Arts, Humanities, Commerce, Science,Manogement, Fine Arts, Physical Education, Information Technology, Education, Low, Social Sciences, Oriental Languages, Engineering and Technology, Medical Sciences, Pharmacy, Informatics, Astrology, Yogic Science and in such other faculties os maybe notified in future.
- The Ph.D. programme shall be notified by the University from time to time through leading media and shall also be displayed on its official website.
2. Ph.D. Categories
A candidate/scholar can register for Ph. D. under Full-time, Part-time or Independent Research Scholar category depending upon the fulfillment of the respective eligibility criteria.
A) Full Time Research Scholars:
The candidates registered for the Degree of Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.) as full time research scholars shall undergo research work for a minimum period of TWO years from the date of provisional registration.
B) Part Time Research Scholars:
The candidates registered for the Degree of Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.) as port time research scholars shall undergo research work for a minimum period of THREE years from the dote of provisional registration.
C) Independent Research Scholars:
Independent Research Scholars shall undergo research work for a minimum period of TWO years from the date of provisional registration.
2.1. Who can register as an independent research scholar?
1) Faculty Members/Teachers in School /Colleges or autonomous institutions with more than 05 years of teaching experience.
2) Scientists working in Notional Laboratories, Institutes and Educational Institutions affiliated colleges / with a minimum of 3 publications are eligible to carry out doctoral research independently without the guidance of a Research Supervisor either on Full Time or Part-Time basis in the places recognized by the Commonwealth Vocational University.
(Note: Exemption of ONE YEAR from the minimum duration period is permissible in respect of candidates who already possess a degree of M.Phil. or M.Litt. in the relevont/related subject from o recognized university at the time of registration.)
Registrations for Ph.D. may be done throughout the year. There is no official deadline for Doctoral students for registration for PhD. Registering as a student has to be done separately with the Doctoral Programme Monitoring Board (DPMB) under Doctoral Administration Office of CVU.
- A candidate who would like to register for any category for the Degree of Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.) must possess any Post-Graduation degree by any recognized University or any other qualification recognized by this University as equivalent thereto with minimum 50% marks or CGPA in aggregate.
- In addition the following persons shall be eligible to register for the pad time Ph.D. programme.
- Any Chartered Accountant / Cost Accountant /Company Secretary with a minimum period of two years of experience after obtaining their professional qualification. The subject shall be allocated by the Doctoral Programme Monitoring Board under the School of Commerce and Management.
- A candidate with Post-graduate degree in any Faculty with five years of senior level experience with exceptional abilities and who have developed important, novel and new technology and contributed immensely to the field of Engineering / Architecture / Pharmacy / Medical Sciences /Astrology /Yogic Science etc. The admission will be confirmed after the Doctoral Programme Monitoring Board, approves the topic.
- A candidate such as any permanent staff in o Govemment Office/Private or Public Ltd., Company/o recognized factory/institution/research institution / Educational Institution / business houses including Board of Directors, Proprietors and Partners with a minimum experience of five years after obtaining their Master's degree.